A committee was appointed by the Presbytery of Toronto, in October 1890, to organize a regular congregation in Port Credit . With approval of members and adherents, this congregation was organized at a meeting on November 3rd, 1890. A month later, a building committee under the leadership of John Gray was formed, and as a result, the construction of a new church began at the intersection of Church & Elizabeth Streets.
The new church was dedicated and opened for services on Sunday, January 17, 1892, by The Rev. R. J. Glassford of Streetsville. However, the first ordained minister of the congregation was The Rev. A. R. Linton.
In the early years, the church was known as the Port Credit Presbyterian Church. It was not until 1918 that the name of St. Andrew’s was adopted. It was around this time that plans were made to build a new “Memorial” church, though the project was delayed for several years because of strife over the question of church union.
This “church union”was proposed as a union of Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches in Canada, eventually leading to the creation of The United Church of Canada in 1925.
However, dispute arose over perceived differences in doctrine between many of the Presbyterian churches on the one hand, and the proposed new United Church on the other. In June, 1925, the St. Andrew’s congregation voted against union, and for continuing as a separate Presbyterian church, a position which was against the expressed wishes of the Presbyterian church establishment at the time.
The outcome of this controversy, from the congregational standpoint, was upheaval. Reorganization began immediately after the key decision against union, and the building of the new “Memorial” church finally got the go-ahead in April, 1927. It was constructed on the present site on Stavebank Road, and was dedicated and opened in the following year. A number of features in the Sanctuary commemorate those in the congregation who served and gave their lives in the two world wars.
The post-war period witnessed a huge expansion in the congregation, and in 1954 a decision was made to expand the church facilities with the addition of a Christian education wing and a church hall. This work was started in May 1955, and was completed and dedicated in February 1956. The existing church, with the completed extension, constitutes the facility which continues in use to this day.